Superstar Spectacle – a special event produced to celebrate India’s Republic Day, and promoted the WWE product in one of its biggest growth markets – premiered today (Tues., Jan 26) on Sony Ten 1, Sony Ten 3, and Sony MAX in India. It also streaming worldwide on WWE Network, and is available on the service for on demand viewing now.
The 90 minute show, taped last Friday (Jan. 22) at ThunderDome in Tampa, was solid sports entertainment. It featuring an array of stars from Raw, SmackDown and NXT, but is certainly not essential viewing to keep up with storylines on any of those shows. The company’s top Indian prospects all got a piece of the spotlight, and with Triple H talking up a Performance Center in the country and an NXT India brand, seeing where they are in their development is probably the main reason to check out SuperStar Spectacle.
In the opinion of this guy who watches too much wrestling? For a group that probably averages two years of experience & training per performer, they’re farther along than I expected… but still not ready for regular TV appearances. The big men, especially former basketball player Giant Zanjeer, have the most upside. If they can stay healthy and continue improving, I wouldn’t be surprised to see some of them get shots on the main roster in a few years.
Above you’ll find a playlist of highlights and fallout interviews – mostly consisting of established Superstars praising the potential of the Indian wrestlers they beat or teamed with on the show. Here’s a rundown of what’s included, and everything that happened:
- Video package of past WWE visits to India and their recent developmental work in the country opened the show
- Michael Cole, Corey Graves & Shahroz Ali were on commentary. In addition to calling the action, they introduced video clips for each of the Indian stars (similar to packages shown during series like the Cruiserweight and Mae Young Classics)
- Finn Bálor defeated Guru Raaj via pinfall following 1916
- Roman Reigns video package, including he and Paul Heyman wishing India a Happy Republic Day
- Ricochet, Rey Mysterio, Giant Zanjeer & Dilsher Shanky def. Dolph Ziggler, King Corbin, Cesaro & Shinsuke Nakamura via pinfall (Mysterio on Cesaro following a splash from Shanky’s shoulders)
- Xavier Woods & New Day came out for a musical/dance performance by Spinning Canvas
- Great Khali promo
- AJ Styles def. Jeet Rama via pinfall following a Phenomenal Forearm (and Omos saying Styles from being thrown from the top turnbuckle)
- Sareena Sandhu & Charlotte Flair def. Bayley & Natalya via pinfall (Sandhu on Natalya after Charlotte Flair saved her from a Sharpshooter by hitting Natural Selection on Nattie)
- Ric Flair came out for a face promo, but was interrupted by Jinder Mahal & The Singhs. The WWE champ and his partners arrived to stand up for Naitch, setting up the main event.
- Drew McIntyre & Indus Sher def. Jinder Mahal & The Bollywood Boyz via pinfall (Rinku on Sunil Singh after hitting a slam/elbow drop combination with partner Saurav)
- Triple H took a bow with the Indian talents to close the show
- Guru Raaj beams with pride after message from Finn Bálor (online exclusive)
- Rey, Ricochet, Dilsher Shanky & Giant Zanjeer discuss win (online exclusive)
- Jeet Rama speechless after AJ Styles pep talk (online exclusive)
- Sareena & Charlotte embrace inspiring next generation of girls (online exclusive)
- Mahal & The Bollywood Boyz take pride in representing India (online exclusive)
- Indus Sher honored to share the ring with Drew McIntyre (online exclusive)
- Full highlights from the WWE Superstar Spectacle premiere
You can stream Superstar Spectacle on WWE Network here.